Thursday, August 24, 2006

Dress code


The dearth* of art in the summer means I have been exploring more design blogs: Design Observer, Swiss Miss, and happy accidents, where I found hel-looks, a collection of street fashion from Helsinki. Go ahead and try to tear yourself away from the photos of these Finnish folks, who have never met a textile, pattern, or color that they didn't like.

(That reminds me of when a couple of friends and I decided to rename ourselves Dearth, Girth, and Mirth in Minneapolis one summer. I know that Girth referred to one guy's biceps, so it wasn't derogatory. Mirth was a fun-loving chick. Oh God, I think I was Dearth. What the hell does that mean?)

2 comments:

Clay said...

I love your recent links to other blogs. HEL LOOKS is like a non-evil antidote to gofugyourself.com which is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.
The Kyoto pictures were great too - we love Kyoto and are going to be there in December for some temple viewing. Two interesting phenomena are the temples to mizuko kuyo ("water children?"); aborted, miscarried, unborn fetuses, these shrines feature rows of tiny stone statues wearing little red bibs; there is also a ceremony called ningyo kuyo, which memorializes and thanks beloved (now unwanted) old dolls, toys etc. If you ever saw the great film "Sans Soliel" by Chris Marker there's a segment on this - the dolls all go up in a bonfire once a year.

Porcupine said...

I’ve seen pictures of those red bibs and wondered what they were. I would love to go to Kyoto. I have one doll from my childhood and I can’t seem to part with it, despite my Spartan ways. Perhaps I need a ceremony. You will have to document your upcoming trip for us.