Monday, July 24, 2006

Porcupine grabs fedora and umbrella, heads for exit

After weeks of interviews and negotiations, some hair-pulling and a couple of fistfights, I am leaving the Ground Zero area and heading back up to Midtown! Beautiful Midtown, which I used to loathe, with its packs of tourists swarming out of hotels and along Broadway to matinees in the Theater District and chain restaurants in Times Square, now beckons sweetly, a bastion of civilization after working in the wasteland on the west side of the World Trade Center site. No more first-hand reports of the progress at Ground Zero.

Subatomic analysis of the long-term ramifications of working in what amounts to a psychiatric facility is confined to colleagues. My family didn't react much. My sister could never remember where I worked anyway, and my parents still can't believe that anyone pays me to do anything.

No comments: